Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Spiced Honey

Everyone likes honey one way or another. Some like it straight, some like it in teas, breads, on biscuits, on waffles or pancakes and so on. Some like myself use it more when they're sick. I started making spiced honey years ago and since my family likes to use it when they have a cold with a scratchy throat and cough I continue to make it year after year.

Now I know you're asking why a cheapsake like myself would use honey when it's so expensive, but taking into account how much cold meds. cost, honey is cheaper. Also honey is a more natural, healthy way without any chemicals.

When I go to make this I seal it in mason jars, if home canning is not your thing, storing it in an airtight container will do just fine. This recipe is very easy and is as follows.


5 1/2 cups of honey
8 cinnamon sticks
24 whole cloves
2 lemons, each lemon cut into 6 wedges

You stud each lemon wedge with 2 whole clove, then place everything in a sauce pot and bring to a boil over med-low heat. Boil for 2 minutes occasionally stirring. Take off the heat and let it stand for about 15 minutes. You're going notice a foam on top of the honey, just skim the top of the honey to remove it. If you're planning to home can this in mason jars, at this point you should have 4 pint size jars, sterilized, and a pot of water boiling. Fill each jar with honey, 3 of the lemon wedges and 2 of the cinnamon sticks with a 1/4 inch head space. Wipe each rim with vinegar and place sterilized lids and bands on. Place in water bath for 25 minutes.

If you're not home canning the honey, a simple air tight container will do fine.

You can half this recipe if you want, but I wouldn't cut it down any further then that

Thanks for stopping by, Become a Fan and follow My blog for more fun ideas~ Thank you, Carleen

 Follow Carleen's Crafty Kitchen on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment