Monday, July 15, 2013

Wild Raspberry Jam



It's mid July and it feels like the sun is trying to toast me alive. But I really don't mind since my favorite berry, raspberries, are in season. Me being a cheapskate, I loved it, in my glory,  when I found wild raspberries growing on the side of the road. So with a plastic tub in my hand I got to picking, enough for Jam and some for me to munch on while I'm making the jam.

The jam is pretty simple and goes as follows:

2 cups of wild raspberries
1 tbsp. Lemon juice
2~1/2 cups of sugar
1 tbsp of Classic Fruit Pectin Powder

Sterilize EVERYTHING, jars, lids..everything that will come in contact with the jarring process 

Just toss the raspberries with lemon juice and also toss sugar with the pectin. Place both mixtures in a saucepan and heat on med-high. Continuously stir till a full blown boil is going at which point,stirring constantly, continue the boil for 5 minutes. Skim any foam that forms on top of the jam. Lower the heat to really low and do a jell test, by taking a small amount of the jam onto a saucer and place in the freezer for a moment or two. When you take the saucer out of the freezer, dip your finger into the jam. If  the jam on the plate is too thin, add a 1/2 cup of sugar to the mix and boil for another 3 minutes and test again. If the jam on the plate is just right, continue to jarring it up. 


Majority of jams and jellies foam up when cooking, my tip of the day is put 1/4 tsp of butter or margarine before it starts boiling, it won't effect the taste and the foam is nowhere to be found.

makes two (2) half pints or  one (1) pint

In a waterbath canner, boil half pints for 20 minutes and/or pints for 25 minutes at full boil.

Thanks for stopping by, Become a Fan and follow My blog for more fun ideas~ Thank you, Carleen

 Follow Carleen's Crafty Kitchen on Pinterest



No comments:

Post a Comment