Thursday, June 27, 2013

Homemade Pizza

About 7 months ago I got myself in jam, a jam my family hasn't let me out of since. At the time it was Halloween, 3 months after moving into a new place. I promised my family Pizza before we ran out the front door to go Trick-or-Treating, only to find out there was no pizza place willing to deliver to us in the boondocks. Not willing to run out for it I came up with making my own. Took me about an hour and half, at the time I thought it was too long for me to deal with but since my family loved it, it was time worth doing.

For the Crust you will need:

1 tbsp. of  yeast
1-1/2 cups of water- 105* to 110*
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. sugar
3-1/2 to 4 cups of Flour*

Your favorite toppings


* now it depends on what type of crust you want depends on the type of flour you use. For a crunchy crust you use bread flour. For a chewy crust you use all purpose flour. With my experimenting I noticed when I make thin crust I use all purpose because bread flour makes it way too crunchy. With Thick crust I use Bread flour so it gives it a soft crunch unlike all purpose flour makes it chewy.


In a standing mixer  combine yeast and water and let it stand for about 5 minutes, until the yeast is foamy. Put the dough hook on the standing mixer and add remaining ingredients and enough flour to make a soft dough. You place the dough in a well greased bowl and let it rise for about 45 minutes until doubled in size.

Meanwhile preheat oven to 400*

Depends on if you want a large deep dish pizza it makes 1, if you make thin crust pizza's like me I get one 10" round pizza and one 9x13 Sicilian pie (square pizza). 

Grease the pan you're using ,  I make my 10" on a baking stone and my Sicilian pie (square) I use a regular 9x13 cookie sheet.

Time to punch down the dough and shape. Some people use a rolling pin to shape the dough, I just use my hands to shape it. Make a small lip around the edges to prevent your toppings from sliding off. You then prick the dough lightly with a fork in the middle (to prevent the dough from bubbling up), Place the dough in the oven for 5 minutes. 

When you take the dough out you're going to see it all puffy, don't freak, when you place your toppings on and continue cooking it it will settle down.

Now with my pies I top it with homemade tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese,  half of one pie I put sausage. Sometimes I get creative and put everything but the kitchen sink on a pie just for myself. But put what you like

Bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes depending on the thickness of your crust. Once you see the edges are a lightly golden color, you know it's done.

once you take it out let it sit for a few moments to settle...then enjoy :) 



Thanks for stopping by, Become a Fan and follow My blog for more fun ideas~ Thank you, Carleen

 Follow Carleen's Crafty Kitchen on Pinterest


No comments:

Post a Comment